Sponsor: Italian Athletic Club
Leon Brigham (1935-1937)
1935 Seattle Community League Champions
1936 Seattle Community League Champions
1937 Seattle Community League Champions
The idea for founding the Italian Club (originally
the Italian Commercial Club) was born at a Christmas party at the home
of the late Nicola Paolella in 1919 in Seattle, Washington. Among those
who attended that get-together were the Italian Consul, Mr. Unti , Drs.
August J. Ghiglione and Xavier DeDonato, Judge George Donworth, Messrs.
Ambrose Chiappa, Frederico M. Bassetti, Idrano Ive, Henry Q. Cervi, Fred
Federici, James Rigo, Victor Nasenga, James Scavotto (Seattle City
Councilman), John Madonna, Felix Rosaia, Albert G. Vena, Alphonso
LaSalle and Captain Charles M. Ferro. Others attended, but their names
are not available.
As a result, Mr. Federico Bassetti, editor of La Gazzetta Italiana,
published a notice inviting all those interested to attend a meeting at
the Fraternal Hall, which was located at the northwest corner of 4th
Avenue and Pike Street. It was there, on January 20, 1920, that the
Italian Club of today held their first meeting. It was officially
founded on April 26 of that year.
Struggling through the 1934 season, the Italians
came back to win the Community League championship of 1935, losing to
the Olympia Senators in a challenge match against the Irish laden
"Shamrocks" of the Northwest League.
James Scavotto had his name attached to the
Commercial League trophy in 1937.
1933 Schedule/Results (2-2-2):